Air Fryer Steak Recipes that are as good as this one are hard to find!
Cooking steak in the air fryer is a foolproof way to get juicy, tender results in less time than it takes to cook on the stove, the oven, or the grill. This recipe makes air fryer steaks crispy and caramelized on the outside, perfect restaurant quality right at home!
Best Air Fryer Steak
- No grill? Rainy day? Short on time? Air fryer steaks taste like they just came off the barbecue but are so easy to make!
- Infused with flavor, these steaks are marinated for 30 mins, or up to 6 hours, using your favorite marinade, seasonings, or simply a dash or two of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve leftovers in sandwiches, wraps, or to top a salad!
- Add your favorite Air Fryer side dishes for an indoor barbecue or surf and turf-themed meal! Try serving with onion rings, zucchini fries, coconut shrimp, or corn on the cob.
Ingredients & Variations
STEAKS: The key to a perfectly cooked steak isn’t the cut, it’s the method. Any sirloin, rib eye, strip loin, or flank steak will work in the air fryer, and it doesn’t matter if they are boneless or bone-in steaks. Choose steaks that are of equal size so they cook at the same rate.
SEASONINGS: A little oil and salt and pepper will bring out the rich flavor of the steaks. Using leftover bacon grease from air fryer bacon instead of oil will give the steaks a savory, bacon flavor. Or cover with butter for the best savory flavor of all!
How to Cook Steak in Air Fryer
Cooking steak in the air fryer is easy with the right method:
- Season and cook steaks in the air fryer (per the recipe below).
- Flip halfway through cooking.
Air Fryer Steak Temperatures
Refer to this handy guide for well-done/medium/rare using a meat thermometer. Be sure to place the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the steaks, away from the bone (if cooking bone-in steaks).
- Rare: 130 to 140°F
- Medium Rare: 145°F
- Medium: 160°F
- Well Done: 170°F
Tips for Tender Steak
- Let the meat rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking. This helps the meat cook more evenly.
- Always insert the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. It might be tempting to trim off any visible fat around the meat, but that’s where a lot of the flavor comes from!
- For best results, follow the temperature guide in your particular air fryer for cooking steaks, and use the air fryer to reheat them, too!
More Beef Recipes
- Air Fryer Steak Bites – quick and delicious appetizer
- Instant Pot Beef Stew Made w/ Leftover Beef Ribs or Steak – chunky and filling
- Instant Pot Beef Brisket – a juicy interior
- Instant Pot Steak Potato and Mushroom Soup – perfect for a chilly day
Air Fryer Steak
- 2 steaks 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ teaspoon salt or steak seasoning
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Let steaks sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Rub steaks with melted and sprinkle with salt and pepper or steak seasoning.
- Place in the air fryer basket and cook for 8-12 minutes flipping the steaks after 4 minutes.
- Once steaks have reached the desired doneness remove them from the air fryer and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving. Top with butter if desired.
Medium: Cook the steak 9-11 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.
Medium Well: Cook the steak 11-12 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.