Get the morning started with this traditional air fryer toad in the hole recipe.
The best breakfasts are those that are tasty, simple, and quick. Its fun and quirky name will make kids excited to learn how to make it – even better for those hectic mornings. Let the air fryer make the morning routine an easy one with this simple egg recipe.
What Is Toad in the Hole?
- Toad in the Hole is sometimes also known as egg in the hole, egg in a basket, or eggs in a nest to add a few!
- This easy breakfast needs just a slice of bread, eggs, and some cheese.
- The air fryer circulates the air and so the slices of bread are perfectly toasted. While the eggs cook into the bread, the cheese melts and forms a golden and gooey topping.
- Put the convenience of the air fryer to use with this recipe. Better yet, have the kids learn to make their own food for breakfast. The morning rush just got a little easier.
Ingredients and Variations
BREAD Most bread will taste so good in the air fryer – white, brown, multigrain. Try a sourdough or even a brioche for a variety of tastes and textures. Gluten-free? Then try gluten-free bread.
CHEESE Cheddar cheese is the simplest and easiest. However, this would also taste good with some Gruyere, Havarti, and pepper jack.
VARIATIONS Sprinkle the egg with some fresh basil leaves or some dill.
How to Make Toad in the Hole
A few simple steps to this easy recipe.
- Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press a “hole” in the bread. Butter the edges of the bread.
- Crack an egg into the hole and cook per the recipe below.
- Add cheese and cook until melted.
Note: When making toad in a hole in a frying pan, a circle is cut out of the bread. In the air fryer the bread needs to stay in tact to hold the egg so we press and indent instead of cutting hole.
What To Eat With Toad In The Hole
Quick Tips & Tricks
To cut the hole, use a round cookie cutter, a glass, a lid to a mason jar, or another jar of comparable size.
More Breakfast Creations in the Air Fryer
- Cheesy Egg Waffles – easy cheesy recipe!
- Air Fryer Breakfast Biscuits – with ham, egg, and cheese
- Air Fryer Scotch Eggs – made with smoked sausage!
- Air Fryer Eggo Mini Waffles – homemade & frozen waffles
Air Fryer Toad In The Hole
- 2 slices bread
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 340°F.
- Press a 2-inch hole in the middle of the bread using the bottom of a measuring cup. Butter the bread on both sides.
- Crack the egg into the pressed in circle and cook for 6-7 minutes. You may need a minute or two more or less depending on how runny you like your egg.
- Add the shredded cheese during the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!