This recipe for air fryer whole chicken is simply delicious!
It comes out juicy with extra crisp skin and is infused with savory seasonings!
Making a whole chicken in the air fryer has never been easier!
Easy Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Whole chicken comes out so flavorful, tender, and juicy and the meat just falls off the bone!
- This air fryer recipe roasts chicken quicker, and cleanup is a cinch!
- Great for dinner or for meal prep. Cook an extra chicken to have ready for sandwiches, soups, or salads.
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken – Make Air Fryer chicken from fresh or frozen in less time than it takes to heat up the oven! Choose a whole chicken about 2-4 lbs in size with intact skin.
Seasonings – Paprika, garlic powder, and parsley are all you need for a tasty chicken. But feel free to use onion powder, oregano, dried basil, lemon zest, or rosemary. A packaged blend like taco seasoning is great for prepping chicken salads and tacos all week!
Variations – This recipe also works for thighs, wings, or leg quarters (thigh and drumstick combined).
How to Air Fry a Whole Chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, rub it with oil, and season.
- Place chicken breast side down (tuck the wings under the back) and cook (per recipe below), flipping over halfway through.
An instant-read thermometer should read 165°F at the thickest part (away from the bone).
For a Rotisserie Style Air Fryer:
Whether you have a Ninja, Vortex, or Corsori, check the user guide to ensure your chicken isn’t too heavy for the rotisserie spit.
- Place chicken on the spit and set the power to 370°F.
- Cook until a meat thermometer reads 165°F (longer for larger birds).
Tips for Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- For either method, let the chicken rest once removed from the air fryer for about 10 minutes so the juices can resettle back into the meat, keeping it extra juicy.
- Keep drippings to drizzle over garlic-roasted potatoes, or broccoli and cauliflower.
Storing Leftover Chicken
Keep leftover air fryer whole chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Remove the meat from the carcass first (save bones for future soups.) Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 3 months. To reheat, pop it in the microwave and use as desired.
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 1 whole chicken 2-4 lbs* see note for larger chickens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the oil evenly across the chicken then sprinkle with seasoning.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket, breast side down *see note for rotisserie.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, flipping the chicken over half way through. Ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F before serving. *see note
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!