It will be hard to resist the crispy skin and tender juicy meat of this air fryer whole chicken.
Why buy a rotisserie chicken when you can roast a whole chicken in the air fryer with minimal prep and clean-up? This recipe produces a tender, juicy chicken with a lightly seasoned, golden brown, uber-crispy skin.
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Easy & Delicious Dinner Idea!
- Freshly cooked chicken is always a winner for dinner. And the air fryer is an easy way to prepare a whole bird without heating up the oven!
- If you are new-ish to air fryer cooking this is one of the best foolproof recipes that look so elegant on the table as well!
- Prep, cook, serve, and save for recipes all week long!
- Use the meat for chicken salad, add it to stir-fries, or fajitas, or make it into little pot pies.
CHICKEN: Choose birds between 2 and 4 lbs that will easily fit into your particular brand of air fryer. They should be clean with intact skins. Be sure to remove the neck and giblets, if needed.
For proper and thorough cooking, air must be able to circulate around the entire bird.
SEASONINGS: This basic rub gives the right amount of flavor to air fryer chicken, feel free to add more or fewer seasonings if desired. Or try a DIY rub for a new flavor profile every time!
How to Make Air Fryer Whole Chicken
Chicken in the air fryer is so much quicker and easier than the oven method.
- Prepare and season the chicken.
- Place breast side down in the air fryer (or in a rotisserie basket).
- Cook (as per the recipe below).
Let the chicken rest before serving.
Tips for Tender & Juicy Chicken
- Lay a few slices of bread on the bottom of the air fryer to absorb drippings so cleaning up is a cinch!
- Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- A smaller chicken (closer to 3 to 3 ¼ lbs) will take closer to 50 minutes.
- A larger chicken (closer to 3 ¾ to 4 lbs) will take about 60 minutes.
- For an even quicker whole chicken, try spatchcocking your chicken.
- Tuck the wings underneath the chicken so they do not overcook.
- To cook a whole frozen chicken, cook it on the lowest temperature setting for the first 10 to 15 minutes to speed up thawing. Usually, the lowest temperatures on air fryers are 300°F.
- Save the neck and giblets (if it was in the cavity) and use for gravy or cook them up as a treat for your favorite canine!
- To avoid any foodborne pathogens, always remove the meat from the chicken carcass and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or place it in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Chicken Recipes in the Air Fryer
- Melt in Your Mouth Chicken – quick and healthy
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs – perfectly fried
- BBQ Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks – with sweet BBQ sauce
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breasts – savory and cheesy
- Air Fryer Herb Chicken – simple and flavorful
- Cajun Air Fryer Chicken Bites – only 3 ingredients and 2 steps
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 1 whole chicken 2-4 lbs* see note for larger chickens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the oil evenly across the chicken then sprinkle with seasoning.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket, breast side down *see note for rotisserie.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, flipping the chicken over half way through. Ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F before serving. *see note