Air fryer coconut shrimp is one of the most popular appetizers around!
Make it at home with this super quick and easy coconut shrimp air fryer recipe. Each piece is breaded in an egg and flour coconut coating and then air fried to crispy perfection. Eat them alone, add them to a salad or wrap, or dunk them into any variety of delicious dipping sauces.
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Shrimp is a healthy snack, appetizer, or main dish for keto and low-carb lovers alike. Raw shrimp can be made so many different ways, but air-fried coconut shrimp will be a family favorite. Kids love it!
- Cook this coconut shrimp air fryer recipe in less than 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Make an appetizer platter with air fryer coconut shrimp and these other air fryer appetizer favorites: air fryer zucchini skins, parmesan crusted sweet potato fries, air fryer pigs in a blanket, or some air fryer mozzarella sticks.
Ingredients and Variations
SHRIMP: For this recipe, choose raw, thawed, medium-sized shrimps that are whole, pale grey before cooking, and smell a little like saltwater. They should be fully peeled with the hardtail left intact.
Frozen shrimp should be thawed before use. Quick thaw frozen shrimp in a bowl of cold water for 10 to 20 minutes.
BATTER: A simple batter is made of flour, seasonings, and a beaten egg so it clings well to the shrimp. Punch up the flavor by adding extra seasonings to the flour. Cajun seasonings go great with sweet coconut!
COATING: Unsweetened shredded coconut and Panko breadcrumbs make the perfect crunchy coating for coconut shrimp!
PRO TIP: Sauté the coconut in a dry pan until it is barely fragrant. This makes the coconut extra crunchy! Make a keto coating using crushed pork rinds in place of the Panko breadcrumbs.
How to Make Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Air fryer coconut shrimp is as easy to make as 1, 2, 3!
- Prepare three bowls for the flour, egg, and coating (per recipe below).
- Dip shrimp into each bowl.
- Fry until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
Serve plain, with a lemon wedge, or with a dipping sauce like cocktail sauce or a spicy chile sauce!
Best Air Fryer Tips
- Always start with a preheated air fryer. The initial burst of circulating hot air seals the outside and creates a crispy exterior while keeping the insides tender and juicy.
- Pat each piece of shrimp dry before dredging and dipping.
- Press the coconut coating onto the outside before air frying.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer. Best results come from working in batches.
Keep leftover air fryer coconut shrimp in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat them in a preheated air fryer for about 3 minutes on each side.
Freeze completely cooled coconut shrimp in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks. Reheat them from frozen in the air fryer for about 5 minutes on each side.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Air Fryer Garlic Butter Shrimp – tender and juicy
- Air Fryer Breaded Shrimp – light and crispy
- Vortex Air Fryer Shrimp Quesadillas – gooey cheese and shrimp
- Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken & Shrimp – add a little bourbon
- Air Fryer Eggplant – easy and delicious
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ pound shrimp about two dozen medium, peeled
- oil for spraying
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F.
- Fill one bowl with flour and seasonings, egg in another, and coconut and breadcrumbs in the third bowl.
- Dip each shrimp in flour, then egg, then coconut mixture, ensuring shrimp is covered on all sides during each dip.
- Lightly spray the shrimp with cooking spray and place them in the air fryer basket.
- Cook shrimp for 3 minutes, flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Cook until firm. Time will depend on the size of the shrimp.
- Remove shrimp and serve with sauce.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp in the Air Fryer
Recipe for sauce?
Hi Kim, we don’t have a recipe for this sauce but the one pictured in a spicy chile sauce. You can usually find this in your local grocery store.
Shrimp was excellent. Can’t believe how there was no shrinkage and no toughness! Wasn’t as coconut tasting as the store bought package I buy. I have some tweaks I’m going to try the next time.
Glad you enjoyed them, Patricia!