Air fryer eggplant is a quick and easy snack or side dish!
Slices of eggplant are lightly breaded and air fried until their crispy on the outside and oh-so-tender on the inside!
Breaded eggplant chips are delicious dipped into marinara sauce or ranch dressing too!
Delicious Air Fryer Eggplant Recipe
- Making eggplant in the Air Fryer is a healthy alternative to traditional deep-frying with oil and a lot less messy!
- Cook up a batch of these savory eggplant chips and serve them as a snack or appetizer with your fave ranch or marinara sauce.
- Air-fried eggplant makes an excellent foundation for air fryer eggplant parmesan, as an appetizer with mozzarella cheese, or layered into a veggie wrap with lettuce and tomatoes!
Ingredients and Variations
Eggplant – Choose heavy globe eggplants that are deep purple and free of bruises or tears. It’s okay if the pieces are different shapes (try air fryer eggplant fries!) as long as they stay the same width for even cooking.
Breading – Flour, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning mixed with parmesan cheese is all it takes for a crispy coating. Change up the flavor by swapping the Italian seasoning for oregano or thyme, or try fresh herbs like fresh basil, fresh parsley, or rosemary. Try using Panko breadcrumbs for an extra crunch.
Variations – Swap the eggplant for other vegetables such as sweet potatoes.
Use crushed pork rinds mixed with almond flour, seasonings, and parmesan to make a keto-friendly and gluten-free breading, if desired. Low-carb guests will appreciate a keto-friendly option.
How to Make Air Fryer Eggplant
This recipe couldn’t be any easier!
- Prepare the seasoned breadcrumb mixture, whisked eggs, and flour (as per recipe below).
- Dip prepared eggplant slices in the flour, whisked eggs, then seasoned breadcrumbs
- Spray each side of the coated eggplant pieces with cooking spray.
- Cook in a single layer for about 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Serve with a salad or over pasta for a full meal.
Tips for Air Fryer Eggplant
- Salt eggplant pieces to draw out excess moisture and pat them dry with paper towels before breading them.
- After air frying, sprinkle the tops with a little more parmesan and pop them back in the air fryer for a minute or two so they are extra crispy!
Keep leftover air fryer eggplant in an airtight container in the refrigerator for storage for up to 3 days and reheat them until they’re crispy again in the air fryer.
Freeze cooked and cooled pieces for up to one month and reheat them from frozen in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Eggplant
- 1 large eggplant
- ⅔ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs whisked
- ¼ cup flour
- marinara sauce for serving optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F.
- Slice eggplant into ⅓" slices and pat dry with paper towel.
- Mix bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder in a medium bowl.
- In two other seperate bowls place the whisked eggs and flour.
- Dip each eggplant slice into flour, then the whisked egg, and lastly the breadcrumb mixture. Finish off by spraying each side of the eggplant with cooking spray.
- Place in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes. Flip over and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with a marinara sauce for dipping.
- Keep slices of eggplant at the same width so they cook evenly.
- Cook in a single layer so the crumbs can crisp.
- You can salt each slice of eggplant before patting it dry, this is not required though. It draws out excess moisture as well as lightly seasoning it.
- For best results, cook in batches. Place all batches into the air fryer and heat together before serving.
- Cooked eggplant will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days, and up to 1 month in the freezer.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!