This classic recipe for British style Air Fryer Fish and Chips come out crispy on the outside, and soft and tender on the inside.
The air fryer makes everything easier! Fry up a batch or two for those busy weeknights or for fun weekend gatherings. They’re absolutely spot on! Enjoy them plain or with tartar sauce.
Air Fryer Fish and Chips
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Quick and Easy Fish & Chips
- Make both fish and chips at the same time in just a few steps! Fry one, then the other, then finish them together so they come out hot and crispy and ready to serve!
- Get that crispy, batter-fried coating without the greasy deep-fried mess using the air fryer! Save fat calories without sacrificing flavor!
- Serve battered cod with cocktail sauce or tartar sauce and the ‘chips’ with ketchup, chili sauce, or even Ranch dressing. For an authentically British twist, sprinkle fish with malt vinegar!
Ingredients and Variations
FISH: Cod is a great choice for this recipe because it is a denser fish that cooks up flaky and tender every time! Choose filets.
BATTER: Every batter recipe is the perfect blend of an egg wash and buttermilk for a bright flavored base for the other coatings.
CHIPS: Potatoes are the “chips” here! Russets are high in starch which makes them fluffy when fried!
SEASONING: Lemon pepper is a delicate, tangy seasoning that brings out the buttery flavor of the fish.
VARIATIONS: No buttermilk? DIY it by mixing a half cup of milk with a half teaspoon of vinegar. Easy peasy! This recipe is excellent with salmon, tilapia, and even halibut. Go bold with other seasoning variations like taco, ranch, or Cajun.
IN A HURRY? Ready-made frozen fillets and French fries will work, too! Follow directions on the air fryer manual or simply add extra minutes to the cooking time!
How to Make Air Fryer Fish and Chips
Simple recipes like this one make cooking a breeze. These are ready in just a few steps!
- Season soaked and drained fries and cook.
- Prep three bowls for breading the fillets (as per the recipe below).
- Dredge fish in flour, dip in egg wash, and press into seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Cook in air fryer until crispy & golden. Add fries back to the air fryer and reheat.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Once fish and chips are back in the air fryer, it only takes about 2 to 4 minutes for them all to be browned and crispy.
- Shake the basket if needed to make sure all of the pieces are cooked evenly. Avoid overcooking. Choose fillets that are the same size and thickness, otherwise, air fry them in separate batches.
- Reheat leftovers in the air fryer to get that same outer crispy coating!
Other Fish and Seafood in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Grouper – crisp and crusty!
- Best Air Fryer Salmon Sliders – smooth avocado with salmon
- Air Fryer Salmon w/ Zucchini – tender and flaky!
- Air Fryer Scallops – mild and crispy
- Easy Air Fryer Salmon – ready in 10 minutes
- Air Fryer Blackened Mahi Mahi – full of flavor!
- Air Fryer Tilapia – quick and delicious dinner
Air Fryer Fish & Chips
- 2 baking potatoes scrubbed and cut into ¼" fries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 pound cod fillets or other white fish
- Soak fries in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Drain fries and dab dry with paper towels. Toss with oil and salt.
- Preheat air fryer to 390°F.
- Place the potatoes in the basket and cook for 17 minutes or until crisp. Shake the basket after 10 minutes. Remove from the air fryer and set aside.
- While fries are cooking, place flour in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg. In a third bowl, combine Panko and lemon pepper.
- Dry fish and dip into the egg mixture and then into flour mixture.
- Dip back into the egg mixture and then into the Panko mixture. Spray generously with cooking spray.
- Add fish to the empty air fryer basket and cook at 390°F for 11-13 minutes or until cooked through and flaky. Do not overcook.
- Add fries to the air fryer basket and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Thicker fish may need longer, and thinner fish filets may cook faster.
- Appliances can vary by appliance. Check both fish and the fries frequently to ensure they don't overcook.
- Frozen fries can be used and will only take about 7-9 minutes to cook.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!