Homemade Mozzarella Sticks in the Air Fryer are so quick and easy to make, that they’ll be a family favorite in no time!
Strips of mozzarella cheese are dipped in an egg wash and then coated in seasoned bread crumbs and air-fried to crispy perfection! Each bite of hot and melty, cheesy deliciousness will win over even the pickiest eater!
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
PIN IT to your APPETIZER board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Best Air Fryer Appetizer
- The air fryer whips up appetizers in minutes with minimal cleanup. So why buy frozen when you can make them fresh?
- This simple recipe makes the best breaded mozzarella sticks you’ve ever tasted! Double up the batch because they will disappear fast!
- Mozzarella sticks are the perfect portable party food. Serve them on their own or with marinara, ranch, bleu cheese, honey mustard, or bbq sauce!
- DIY a super fun and tasty appetizer platter with these other air fryer favorites: Air Fried Cheese Curds, Air Fryer Loaded Tater Tot Skewers, Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings, Air Fryer Kale Chips, Air Fryer Carrot Fries.
Ingredients & Variations
CHEESE: Mozzarella makes the creamiest, cheesiest stick, but long strips of pre-packaged string cheese or sharp cheddar cheese will also work. Choose one or many different varieties of cheese!
BREADING: Seasoned breadcrumbs and Panko give cheese sticks that perfectly golden coating and distinctive crunch.
Going low-carb? Switch out the breading for a combination of crushed pork rinds and almond flour.
SEASONINGS: Any package of Italian seasoning will do! Or try a taco, chile, or Cajun seasoning.
How to Make Mozzarella Sticks in the Air Fryer
It’s easy to prepare these tasty snacks for air frying.
- Freeze mozzarella sticks while preparing the breading mixtures (per recipe below).
- Combine wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
- Dip frozen cheese sticks into the egg mixture and then the breading mixture.
- Spray mozzarella sticks with cooking oil and air fry!
How Long to Cook Mozzarella Sticks in Air Fryer
Most air fryers will take 6 to 8 minutes to create perfectly crispy and creamy breaded Mozza sticks. Just place mozzarella sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook them until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Tips for Crispy Cheesy Goodness
- Be sure the air fryer is preheated before cooking mozzarella sticks. The initial blast of hot air seals the coating to the outside and seals in the cheese.
- Make sure there’s a little space between the cheese sticks so the hot air can circulate all around them, ensuring an even, crispy coating.
- If cooking in batches, keep air-fried mozzarella sticks warm in the oven.
- Reheat leftover mozzarella sticks in a preheated air fryer until they are crispy again.
More Air Fryer Appetizers
- Air Fryer Pork Bites – juicy pork tenderloin
- Air Fryer Zucchini Skins – so crispy!
- Air Fryer Crispy Chickpeas – so versatile
- Best Air Fryer Dill Pickle Chips – an easy & delicious recipe
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp – elegant and flavorful!
- Easy Air Fryer Eggplant – great appie or side dish!
- Air Fryer Tex Mex Egg Rolls – perfectly crispy
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 8 mozzarella cheese sticks frozen
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Freeze mozzarella sticks for at least 30 minutes before coating them.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400°F.
- Mix milk and the egg in one bowl and the remaining ingredients in another.
- Coat the mozzarella stick in the egg mixture then the breadcrumb mixture and repeat the process.
- Repeat until all of the other sticks are done and generously spray with cooking spray.
- Place sticks in the air fryer basket and cook for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown in color.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!