Move over potato skins, there’s a new game in town!! Air Fryer Zucchini Skins are the perfect snackable bite and easy to make.
Tender zucchini skins are topped with cheddar and bacon for a dippable appetizer everyone loves. This snack is naturally a keto appetizer but loved by everyone!
Air Fryer Zucchini Skins
PIN IT to your APPETIZER board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Recipes!
- Zucchini – you’ll need a medium to large zucchini for this recipe, big enough that you can hollow it out to use the skins.
- Cheese – each skin gets just a bit of cheese so use sharp cheddar for the most flavor.
- Bacon – bacon bits are the perfect easy topper but if you’d like you can make air fryer bacon and use that.
- Green Onions – are the perfect addition before serving. Add them after cooking.
We love sour cream with a bit of onion or chives for dipping but use any dip you’d like!
Preparing Zucchini for the Air Fryer
In this recipe, we want just the skins but need to leave enough of the flesh to hold it all together. 1/4″ is about right.
- Scoop zucchini: Use a small spoon to scoop out the middle leaving a shell.
- Cut the zucchini into pieces about 1″ x 2″. The size doesn’t have to be exact.
- Season and cook skin side up first and then flip.
- Top with cheese & bacon and cook again until the cheese is melted.
The flesh you’ve scraped out of the middle of the zucchini can be chopped and added to pasta sauce or meat sauce for stuffed peppers. It can be blended and added to almost any soup or stew or even chopped and cooked with rice for a little bit of nutrition.
More Air Fryer Appetizers
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- Instant Vortex Air Fryer Crab Cream Cheese Wontons
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Spicy Air Fryer Dill Pickles
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- Air Fryer Hot Wings
Air Fryer Zucchini Skins
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or as needed
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- sour cream for serving optional
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and then into approximately 2" pieces (about 3 pieces).
- Use a spoon to scrape out the inside of the zucchini leaving a ¼" shell. (see note)
- Cut each into half or thirds so you have rectangles about 1" x 2".
- Brush both sides of the zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the zucchini skin side up and cook at 400°F for 4 minutes.
- Flip the zucchini over and sprinkle with cheese and bacon bits. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and zucchini is tender crisp. Do not overcook.
- Cool 2 minutes, sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Repin this Air Fryer Zucchini Skins Recipe
I don’t have and air fryer but would it work in the oven. Please let me know
You could likely do them in an oven on broil. You just don’t want the zucchini skins to cook too much.