These air fryer pickle spears will tame that craving for something spicy and crunchy!
Move over dill pickle chips because these breaded and air-fried snacks are moving in! Made with flavorful pickles that have been breaded with crispy Panko bread crumbs and a hint of cayenne, and then cooked quickly in the air fryer, these are positively yummy.
Favorite Fried Pickles!
- We love this air fryer fried pickles recipe because it satisfies the spicy, the crispy, and the crunchy in one fell swoop of a simple pickle.
- This is the best alternative to dill pickle chips and the pickle makes it extra flavorful and healthy. They are also easy and quick to make.
- It is the perfect appetizer to serve on game day or when guests are over. Make an appetizer platter, by serving alongside some air fryer buffalo wings, crispy air fryer pepper rings, or air fryer zucchini chips. Serve with dips like a dilly dip, or ranch dressing.
Ingredient & Variations
PICKLES: There are so many options of pickles to choose from. The best pickles for this recipe are dill pickle wedges. If the precut spears cannot be found, then buy whole pickles and cut them into quarters. Remember to cut them evenly.
BREADING: The crowning glory of these pickles is the Panko bread crumbs. These crumbs crisp nicely in the air fryer. To make a keto version replace the breading with some almond flour or a keto-friendly breading.
How to Make Fried Pickles in the Air Fryer
In only a few minutes these simple pickles will be ready for serving.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and prepare the breading.
- Dab the pickles dry with a paper towel and then roll in the flour.
- Dip the pickles in the egg mixture and then press them into the breading
- Cook them in the air fryer (as per the recipe below).
How to Make Frozen Fried Pickles in the Air Fryer
If the pickles are being cooked from frozen, then cook them in the air fryer for 8-10 minutes at 400°F. Spray them with some oil at the last minute, so they are extra crispy.
Can you Freeze Air Fryer Pickles?
Air fryer dill pickles can be frozen. Prepare and cook them as the recipe indicates. Once the pickles are finished cooking, then remove them from the air fryer and lay them flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Place this baking sheet in the freezer. Once they are frozen, then remove them from the freezer and place them in a freezer bag. They can be reheated in the air fryer from frozen (do not defrost or they may get mushy). Reheating should take 3-4 minutes
More Appetizers in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips – Crispy
- Air Fryer Frozen Taquitos – Crunchy
- Air Fryer Zucchini Skins – Easy and Cheesy
- Air Fryer Potato Chips – Sure to be a hit
Spicy Air Fryer Pickle Spears
- 16 dill pickle wedges
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 egg
- cooking spray
- ⅔ cup panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Combine breading ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Dab pickles dry with paper towels and toss with flour. Dip pickles in the beaten egg mixture and remove allowing excess to drip off.
- Dip into the breading mixture gently pressing to adhere. Spray with cooking spray.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Place pickles in a single layer in the basket. Cook 7-9 minutes or until golden. Repeat with remaining pickles.
- Pickles should be cooked in a single layer. Cook in batches if needed.
- Once all batches are cooked add them back to the air fryer to heat through before serving.
- Spray the pickles with cooking spray before putting them in the air fryer. Cooking spray can damage the basket.
REPIN this Spicy Air Fryer Pickles Recipe