There’s nothing like these cheesy and delicious air fryer stuffed peppers.
Making stuffed peppers in the air fryer will be one of your favorite recipes ever! Whole bell peppers are stuffed with Italian sausage and rice in a savory pasta sauce and topped with melty mozzarella cheese. Juicy and delicious recipes like this one become family favorites for good reason, and the air fryer makes them better than ever!
Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
The Best Stuffed Pepper Recipe
- Healthy, filling, and delicious, the air fryer makes stuffed peppers with minimal clean-up!
- Make extra for workday lunches or freeze and reheat for later!
- This is a great recipe for using up leftovers! Mushrooms, green beans, peas, zucchini, and potatoes are great options!
Ingredients & Variations
PEPPERS: Choose green, red, yellow, or orange bell peppers for a colorful presentation! Always remove the seeds and the white pith inside for a more attractive pepper (and the seeds are bitter).
MEAT: Ground Italian sausage has a defined savory flavor, but any meat will do, including ground beef. Turkey and chicken are leaner options and for a vegetarian stuffed pepper, switch out the meat for two cans of drained black beans or crumbled tofu in step 4. If swapping out the Italian sausage, add a half tablespoon of Italian seasoning or switch it up for your favorite seasoning such as taco seasoning.
RICE: Instant rice saves valuable time in this recipe! Use leftover rice or cauliflower rice for a low-carb version.
How to Make Stuffed Peppers in the Air Fryer
Making stuffed peppers will make anyone feel like a pro chef, but these are ready in no time.
- Prep the peppers and the filling (per the recipe below).
- Stuff the peppers and top with sauce.
- Air fry, add cheese, and continue cooking until it is melted!
Tips for the Best Stuffed Peppers
- Keep bell peppers from getting watery by poking holes in the bottom with a fork before filling.
- If the peppers are very large, cut more from the top and dice the top and add to Step 5.
- Or, cut them in half vertically (like boats). Use aluminum foil as stands if the peppers don’t stay upright on their own.
- Avoid overcooking stuffed peppers so they don’t collapse on the plate.
More Peppers in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Roasted Peppers – So crispy
- Crispy Air Fryer Bell Peppers – Breaded appetizers
- Vortex Air Fryer Mushroom Stuffed Bell Peppers – Full of veggies
- Air Fryer Sausage, Peppers, and Onions – A full meal
- Crispy Air Fryer Pepper Rings – great snack or appetizer!
Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- ½ onion diced
- ½ cup instant rice
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups pasta sauce divided
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat air fryer to 320°F.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove any seeds. (*see note)
- Brush with oil and place the peppers in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes.
- Brown sausage and onions in medium skillet. Drain any fat.
- Add rice, seasonings, water, and 1 cup pasta sauce to the sausage mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Fill the peppers with the sausage mixture. Top with remaining sauce and place in the air fryer basket.
- Turn the air fryer to 350°F, and cook the peppers for 8-10 minutes. Top with mozzarella and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- If your peppers are large, cut them lengthwise so they do not touch the top of the basket.
- If your peppers don't sit flat, use aluminum foil to hold them upright.
- If your peppers are small you may need a couple more than listed in the recipe.