Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken and Shrimp
Mince your garlic and parsley and soften 2 tbl of butter in the microwave. Combine the softened butter with the parsley and minced garlic. Cover and place the bowl in the refrigerator to harden while you make the rest of the recipe.
Wrap your chicken breasts in plastic wrap and flatten them to 1/2 inch thickness with the flat side of a tenderizing hammer.
Apply salt and pepper to both sides of the chicken. Let this set for 15 minutes while you prepare the sauce mixture and slice up the mushrooms and onions.
Remove the tails from the shrimp, to save your diners the trouble.
Melt 2 tbl of butter in 2 tbl of olive oil in your Instant Pot and saute the chicken until its internal temperature reaches 180 F. I cook each side for about 5 minutes, and if they need it, another 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate, cover with aluminum foil and keep it warm.
Add the mushrooms and onions to the Instant Pot and add more butter or oil, if needed, to make about 2 tbl of oil in the pan. Saute the mushrooms and onions over medium heat until the onions have pearled.
Stir the sauce mixture well to make sure all parts are well mixed and add it to the Instant Pot with the mushrooms and onions. Add the shrimp at this time, too. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring and remove it from the heat when the sauce thickens.
Serve the chicken warm and covered with the mushroom and onion sauce and top each chicken breast with a teaspoon of the garlic and parsley butter you made earlier.
The bourbon will dissipate while cooking but if you are serving children you can leave it out!
Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken & Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless chicken breasts Small ones flattened to ½ inch thick.
- 1 pound shrimp thawed, rinsed, tails removed
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Set the Instant Pot on "Saute". Heat oil and add the chicken cooking it for 4 minutes per side or until it reaches 165°F internally.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a plate covered with foil to keep them warm.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the Instant Pot and saute them until they are tender.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and add to the instant pot with the shrimp. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and cook for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp are cooked and the sauce is thickened.
- Serve the chicken warm and covered with the mushroom and onion sauce.