This delicious Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe delivers exceptional beefy flavor and satisfaction!
Chunks of leftover beef and colorful veggies are bathed in a rich and savory broth made from wine, tomato paste, and beef stock. Loaded with potatoes and hearty healthy vegetables, Instant Pot stew is as nourishing as it is comforting. Perfect for taking the chill off a cold winter day! Best of all, no one will know it’s made with leftover steak!
Best Instant Pot Comfort Food
- The Instant Pot is a wonderful appliance for getting that slow-cooked flavor in half the time it takes to make it on the stove!
- This Instant Pot beef stew recipe comes together in minutes because the beef is already cooked, it simply gets warmed up at the end!
- Cooler weather days and nights call for a deliciously filling and healthy stew that the whole family will love! Add your favorite dinner rolls and a crisp salad and dinner is ready!
Ingredients & Variations
BEEF: Use leftover meat from a chuck roast, strip steak, or ribeye, and don’t worry about how it is pre-seasoned, it will only add to the amazing flavor of the stew! No leftover steak? No problem. Use trimmed and cubed stewing steak and add before onions, browning on the saute function. Remove steak and continue with onions. Add beef back in step 3 and secure lid and select Meat/Stew; cook on high pressure 35 minutes.
VEGETABLES: Any veggies will do, even leftovers! Potatoes and carrots are key elements of a good soup or stew. Round it out with peas and celery. Other veggies to include are mushrooms, zucchini, or, to make it super easy, just toss in a bag of frozen vegetable medley – no need to thaw!
BROTH: Beef broth and tomato paste are what give this stew its rich and robust flavor. Red wine adds depth but is totally optional and it won’t take away from the flavor.
SEASONINGS: Seasoning the stew brings all the flavors together and makes it aromatic. Use fresh if possible, otherwise dried is okay.
How to Cook Stew in the Instant Pot
This recipe is so quick and easy, thanks to the Instant Pot!
- Saute onion and garlic (as per recipe below). Then add wine and scrape the bottom.
- Add remaining ingredients except for peas and beef. Seal the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 9 minutes.
- Set Instant Pot to boil and add peas and cornstarch slurry. Whisk until desired thickness is reached.
- Add beef cubes and simmer until heated through. Serve hot.
Tips for Making the Best Stew!
- Adding the leftover beef at the end of the recipe keeps it from overcooking and becoming tough.
- The key to a good, lump-free ‘slurry’ is to mix the cornstarch with very cold water and shake it in a jar until it’s thoroughly mixed before using. You may not need all of the slurry in this recipe.
More Beef Recipes
- Instant Pot Beef Brisket – Tender and Juicy
- Instant Vortex Air Fryer Roast Beef – Easy
- Air Fryer Steak Bites – Delicious
- Air Fryer Steak – Quick
- Instant Pot Beef Tips & Gravy
Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- ½ cup red wine optional
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ pounds baby potatoes halved
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 ribs celery cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch for thickening, see notes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound leftover beef leftover beef or steak, trimmed and cut into inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a 6-qt Instant Pot, heat oil using the saute function. Add onion and garlic and cook, while stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in wine if using and simmer for 2-3 minutes while scraping up any brown bits in the bottom of the pot.
- Add tomato paste, potatoes, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and Italian seasoning. Stir in broth (do not add the beef yet).
- Turn the Instant Pot on high pressure for 9 minutes. Once cooked, quick release the pressure.
- Turn the soup on to saute and once boiling, stir in the peas. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Whisk into the boiling stew a bit at a time until it reaches desired thickness*.
- Add the cooked beef cubes to the simmering soup and let simmer 2-3 minutes or just until heated through. Do not overcook the beef. Remove bay leaf, taste and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Instant Pot Beef Stew with Leftover Steak Recipe
Absolutely perfect recipe for my 1.5 lbs. of leftover prime rib. I followed all the instructions/ingredients. The cook time and the taste were spot on. Tasted like I had cooked the beef stew from scratch not leftover beef. Thanks for this time and money saving recipe.
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed this recipe Clancy!
If the ribs are already cooked do you have to slow cook them again?
Hi Kay, if the ribs are precooked they should be fine without slow cooking them again.