Air Fryer Poutine fries are cooked crisp in the air fryer and topped with cheese curds and a rich brown gravy. This street food is easy made right at home!
Hail to our Canadian friends for introducing their own version of street food! Found at food carts and restaurants all across Canada, the recipe has slight regional differences. But they all begin with crispy, French-fried potatoes, slathered in a mouthwatering, savory brown gravy and then topped with gooey, melty cheese curds.
Air Fryer Poutine Fries
PIN IT to your APPETIZER board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Why We Love Poutine Fries
- Everything is easier in the air fryer. Make batches of fries and keep them warm in the oven.
- While poutine may not be calorie conscious, poutine fries are super delicious to make for a crowd and can even be fancy enough for a special party or picnic. Serve them in paper boats as a handheld snack, and go crazy with topping and garnishes.
- This three-ingredient recipe can be basic or add some mix-ins like Air Fryer Meatballs or Perfect Air Fryer Bacon.
3 Ingredient Recipe
GRAVY: Basic canned brown gravy is all that’s needed for Poutine fries. To “correct” the gravy and add depth to the flavor, stir in a little ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, or soy sauce. Or, add a little hot sauce for a spicy gravy.
CHEESE: Cheese curds might not be easily available, so using small, diced cubes of mozzarella cheese will imitate the bite (but not the squeak) of cheese curds. Any cheese will do, as long as it gets melty and works with the flavor of the brown gravy, but for the best poutine fries aesthetic, sub curds with mini bocconcini mozzarella bites.
How To Make Poutine in an Air Fryer
Poutine literally means “a mess” so don’t worry too much about making this tasty snack look pretty, just cook it up and dig in!
- Cook frozen French fries in a single layer until browned & crispy.
- Top with cheese curds and cook (per the recipe below).
- Meanwhile, heat the gravy. Remove fries from the air fryer and assemble.
Add extra cheese, if desired, cover with gravy and serve piping hot.
- For best results, always preheat the air fryer before using it. Air fryers work by circulating hot air around the food, making the outside crispy while sealing in the tender flavors of the food.
- Always allow for plenty of space between foods before air frying. Cooking more than one batch? Try keeping fries warm in the oven.
- Here are some fun extras to add to the menu! Try these awesome Instant Vortex Plus Crispy Crunchy Chicken Tenders or tasty Vortex Air Fryer Pigs In A Blanket.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer, if gravy is kept separate. Adding extra cheese will make them good as new!
More Fries Recipes!
- Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Sweet Potato Fries – Ah, the sweetness of sweet potatoes!
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries – still healthy but air fried.
- Instant Vortex Air Fryer Carrot Fries – orange, fried, and sweet.
- Air Fryer Fish & Chips – Add some fish with those chips.
Air Fryer Poutine
- ½ bag frozen french fries or homemade air fryer fries
- 1 cup cheese curds
- 1 can brown gravy
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Place fries in the air fryer basket and cook for 14 minutes shaking the basket halfway through the cook time.
- Once done add cheese curds to the basket and cook an additional 2 minutes or until curds start to melt.
- While the cheese is melting heat the gravy in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Put fries on a plate and top with the cheese curds and gravy.