Quick and easy grilled cheese in the air fryer will be your new favorite way to make this cheesy, crispy classic comfort food!
Melted cheese and crispy bread make this classic grilled cheese air fryer recipe everyone’s favorite!
Easy Way to Make Grilled Cheese
- It doesn’t take long to get a perfectly toasted grilled cheese sandwich with melty cheese in the air fryer, just 10 minutes!
- No prep, no pan, and no stove or oven required, plus cleanup is a cinch!
- Use a different type of cheese for a new sandwich every time.
- Whether you own a Ninja, Nuwave, or Corsori air fryer, grilled cheese is a perfect beginner recipe and a great one for kids to make on their own!
- Set up a grilled cheese station with different breads, cheeses, and add-ins, and let everyone help themselves! Perfect for a party, sleepover, or movie night! Serve ‘em with bowls of tomato soup, roasted red pepper soup, or some crunchy sweet potato fries.
Ingredients and Variations
Bread – Any bread will do as long as it’s sturdy enough to hold the cheese in. A classic grilled cheese sandwich uses plain white sandwich bread, but bread like sourdough bread, french bread, wheat bread, or thick slices of Texas toast can make delicious grilled cheese sandwiches, too! Or get fancy and use rye bread or pumpernickel and pair them with a fancy cheese for a grown-up version!
Cheese Variations – Choose your cheese! Many types of cheeses can be used such as American slices, mozzarella, Swiss, Havarti, Provolone, sharp cheddar cheese (the classic!), gruyere, Monterey jack, or even shredded cheese can be used with success.
Extras – Cook your grilled cheese sammies with a few slices of deli ham, turkey, or strips of cooked bacon. For fancier sammies, thinly sliced red or green apples, tomatoes, pears, or a swipe of orange marmalade will add a touch of sweetness to saltier-flavored cheeses.
How to Make Grilled Cheese in Air Fryer
- Spread mayo on each bread slice.
- Put cheese between two slices of bread and secure with toothpicks. Place mayo side (or butter side) down.
- Cook in the air fryer until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, flipping halfway through.
Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese
- Always preheat the air fryer to the proper temp before cooking
- Use one or more toothpicks to stick the sandwich together as it cooks.
- Place a coffee filter in the bottom of the air fryer basket or tray to catch any dripping cheese for easier cleanup.
- Leftovers? Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 4 slices cheese any kind
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or butter
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the outside of both pieces of bread.
- Place cheese slices inside and close the sandwich and place in the air fryer basket. Place a couple toothpicks in each sandwich to ensure the top slice of bread stays in place while in the air fryer.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until the bread is golden on the outside and cheese is melted.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!