With this Caprese grilled cheese sandwich recipe, the childhood favorite sandwich is all grown up!
Mozzarella, pesto, tomato, and basil are sandwiched between two slices of bread and air fried to crispy, melty perfection. After tasting this, no one will want to go back to ordinary grilled cheese sandwiches again. Try serving it with soup and a salad for a full meal deal.
A Tasty Twist on a Classic!
- This recipe is a new twist on a classic and the air fryer makes them in minutes flat with minimal prep and clean up!
- Crispy on the outside and loaded with fresh and savory mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and pesto, Caprese grilled cheese sandwiches are fun and fancy!
- Movie and game night just got better! Make a pile of grilled cheese sammies for the kids, and this grown-up version for the adults!
Ingredients for Caprese Grilled Cheese
BREAD: Thick slices of sourdough bread or Texas toast are sturdy enough to hold the ingredients yet fry up crispy on the outside.
CHEESE: Fresh mozzarella is creamy and melts perfectly for Caprese grilled cheese. Shredded mozzarella, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese slices can work too.
TOMATOES: A must for any Caprese recipe! Other add-ins could be sliced red onions, mushrooms, or fresh spinach.
SEASONINGS: Balsamic vinegar adds that sweet/tart flavor to Caprese grilled cheese, but feel free to sprinkle on a pinch of red pepper flakes or some sliced fresh garlic.
ADD-INS: Make it heartier by adding cooked sliced bacon, or slices of deli ham, chicken, or roast beef.
How to Make Caprese Grilled Cheese
- Season tomato slices with balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Spread pesto on all four slices of bread (as per the recipe below).
- Top two slices with tomatoes, basil, and then mozzarella cheese.
- Top each sandwich with the second slice of bread (pesto side down), and brush the outside with oil.
- Cook until the cheese is melted, and the bread is golden brown.
- Rub the outside of the sandwiches with a clove of garlic (optional). Serve warm.
What Goes with Caprese Grilled Cheese?
Pro Tips for Perfect Grilled Cheese
- Dab the tomato slices dry with a clean paper towel before seasoning.
- Always preheat the air fryer before using it and avoid crowding the tray or basket.
- Make clean-up a breeze and place one or two coffee filters in the bottom of the air fryer basket to catch any drippings of melted cheese.
More Sandwiches in the Air Fryer
Caprese Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices thick bread or sour dough
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 6-8 leaves fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic whole
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F
- Slice the tomato into ¼-inch slices. Dab with a paper towel, drizzle with balsamic, and season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Spread pesto on all four slices of sour dough or thick bread. Top two of these with seasoned tomatoes. and fresh basil leaves. Add the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the second slice of bread to each sandwich and brush the outside with olive oil.
- Place in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook 4-6 minutes or until golden and melted.
- Remove from air fryer and rub the outside of the bread with the garlic clove. Serve warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!