Homemade air fryer onions make a tasty side dish or topping for multiple recipes.
With just 4-ingredients and only minutes to cook, this fried onion recipe is so quick and simple to prepare.
Enjoy crispy and tender sweet onions straight from the air fryer in no time!
Easy Air Fryer Onions
- Just a few ingredients are all that’s needed to make tasty fried onions.
- No fuss, no muss, just slice, toss in oil, salt & pepper, then air fry.
- They’re healthy! Less oil than pan-fried onions, and low carb, since they aren’t breaded!
Ingredients and Variations
Onions – Yellow cooking onions are perfect in this recipe, but Spanish onions, sweet onions, or even red onions will all taste great as well and offer slightly different flavor options.
Seasoning – Salt & pepper are a must when cooking onions, but other seasonings are great for adding depth. Some options to try include taco, ranch, or a dash of red chili flakes for some heat.
How to Make Air Fryer Onions
What could be simpler than 2 easy steps?
- Toss sliced onions with oil and seasoning.
- Air fry until crispy around the edges and translucent in the middle.
How to Use Air Fryer Onions
There are so many uses for these tasty onions.
Try them on a quick and creamy Instant Pot baked potato or have it alongside some air fryer sausage and peppers. Cook some frozen burgers or hot dogs and use air-fried onions as a tasty topper (with mustard, relish, and ketchup of course)! Or just cook some homemade onions to add something extra to a quick microwave dinner!
Best Way to Store Air Fryer Onions
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Cooked onions can be frozen too, for a convenient addition to soup, stew, or stir fry—no need to chop or cook onions, just add them in straight from frozen and let them work their flavor magic!
Air Fryer Onions
- 1 large yellow onion ½" slices
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
- In a bowl, toss together the onions with oil, salt & pepper to taste.
- Add onions to the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. The onions are done when they are starting to crisp on the edges and translucent in the middle.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!