This Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is a classic combination!
Savory ham and melty cheese are stuffed into a chicken breast, covered in seasoned breadcrumbs, and then air-fried until juicy and irresistible. For a tender and crispy main dish that looks like it took forever to make, this entree is hard to beat!
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
- Classic main dishes are now made even easier in the air fryer!
- Get restaurant-quality results with this breaded chicken cordon bleu that’s quick enough to make for every day, but elegant enough for company!
- Meal prep chicken cordon bleu rolls and use them all week long for dinner, energizing workday lunches, or slice and serve on top of a bed of salad greens.
- Reheat slices and make a sandwich with a smear of Dijon mustard!
Ingredients & Variations
CHICKEN: Choose chicken breasts of the same size so they cook equally in the air fryer. They should be boneless, skinless, but intact and clean.
Fresh is always best, but frozen will work once they are fully thawed.
CHEESE: Sliced Swiss cheese holds everything together as it melts and is a bright and tangy complement to ham. Gruyere, havarti, or cheddar will do in a pinch!
BREADCRUMBS: Perfect chicken cordon bleu is all about the crispy breadcrumbs that seal in the ingredients and add texture!
Got leftover bread? Make homemade breadcrumbs and have some on hand for future recipes! For low-carb breadcrumbs, try using crushed pork rinds.
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu in the Air Fryer
Chicken Cordon Bleu has never been so easy to make.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts so they open (like a book). Pound to a ¼” thickness and season.
- Top each chicken breast with ham and cheese, fold over, and secure with a toothpick.
- Bread chicken breasts (per the recipe below), ensuring they’re covered on all sides.
- Spray with pan release and cook until crisp and the internal chicken temperature is 165°F.
Let rest, then serve warm while the cheese is still melted and delicious!
What to Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Got time for an easy sauce? Simply pop open a jar of Alfredo sauce and serve over the top of Chicken Cordon Bleu!
Tips for Crispy Breaded Chicken
- For best results, ensure the outside of the rolls are patted dry before dipping into the egg wash so the wash and coating can adhere properly. Press the coating into the rolls if needed.
- The chicken will continue to cook once it’s removed from the air fryer. Allow rolls to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing, to keep chicken juicy.
More Delicious Air Fryer Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- Vortex Air Fryer Mall Bourbon Chicken
- Air Fryer Southwest Chicken
- Air Fryer Breaded Chicken Bites
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breasts
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 small chicken breasts boneless skinless, 4-5 oz each
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 slices deli Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli ham
- 1 egg beaten
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Place the chicken breast on a flat work surface and butterfly the chicken by cutting most of the way through so it opens like a book. Pound to ¼ " thickness.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Place the ham and cheese inside each chicken breast. Close the breasts and secure with a toothpick.
- Mix panko bread crumbs and seasoned bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Dip chicken into egg and then bread crumbs.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
- Generously spray the rolls with cooking spray and place in the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- Cook 10 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until bread crumbs are crisp and chicken reaches 165°F.