Southwest Chicken cooked in the air fryer is juicy and tender with the best flavor!
Everyone loves the air fryer, especially when it makes such flavorful and delicious chicken. This recipe is simple to cook, and healthy too. Chicken breast made air fryer style, turns out perfect every time, with the best Southwest-style seasoning ever. Serve as an entrée on its own, or slice and add to tacos, burritos, or fajitas for a whole new twist.
Air Fryer Southwest Chicken
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Best Air Fryer Chicken
- This seasoning mixed with lime juice creates the best Southwest flavor! A little bit spicy and a little bit tangy, it’s perfect with so many side dishes.
- The chicken cooks right in the seasoning, so no marinade is necessary. Quick and easy!
- This recipe can be used for batch cooking some Southwest flavored chicken for salads or for make-ahead meals. Just slice or shred and add to favorites like Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas or use to top some cheesy Air Fryer Nachos.
Ingredients & Variations
CHICKEN 3 boneless chicken breasts should fit in almost any air fryer basket. Feel free to double the recipe, but be sure to cook in batches, especially with a smaller air fryer.
COATING Olive oil and lime juice combine to create the perfect acid & fat tanginess, that both tenderizes and flavors the meat while it’s cooking!
SEASONING Cumin & chili powder, garlic powder, & salt go so perfectly with the coating. So easy to make, but so delicious.
How to Make Air Fryer Southwest Chicken
It doesn’t get much easier than these two simple steps.
- Coat chicken with oil, lime juice, and seasoning mixture.
- Air fry (as per the recipe below), making sure chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Be sure to rest before slicing and serving.
Tips for Juicy Air Fryer Chicken
- Always preheat the air fryer, so that it seals in the juices when the chicken is added.
- Air fry in a single layer or chicken will not cook properly.
- Even perfectly cooked chicken breasts will turn rubbery if sliced immediately after cooking, so don’t skip the resting step—no matter how hungry everybody is! Chicken (and other meats) definitely needs some time to allow the juices to redistribute before slicing.
- Southwest Chicken will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days. To keep it juicy, do not reheat it in the microwave. Instead, learn How to Reheat Chicken in an Air Fryer.
- For a juicy cold chicken sandwich or tortilla wrap, make it with Southwest chicken salad, made with a little mayo and celery. Perfect with lettuce and fresh tomato!
Best Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer Mall Bourbon Chicken
Air Fryer Southwest Chicken
- 3 boneless chicken breasts 7 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
- Toss chicken with seasonings, oil, and lime juice.
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 16-19 minutes flipping chicken after 10 minutes.
- Rest 5 minutes before slicing.