Get game day ready in minutes and make these irresistibly crispy air fryer potato skins!
Loaded with cheese and bacon bits and topped with sour cream, these are the appetizer that always disappears first!
Easy Air Fryer Appetizer
- Potato skins are crowd-pleasing favorites that don’t take long to make in the air fryer and cleanup is a breeze!
- This recipe has so many possibilities for mixing and matching! Omit the bacon bits and add roasted air fryer broccoli for vegetarian potato skins or add your favorite taco, chili, or ranch dressing seasoning for a variety of different flavors!
- Why buy the frozen TGI Friday version of potato skins when it’s easier and more affordable to make them at home?
Ingredients and Variations
Potatoes – Choose baked potatoes that are similar in size so they cook evenly.
Mix-ins – Add different kinds of cheese to the potato mixture other than cheddar. A shredded Mexican blend, Swiss, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, and even blue cheese crumbles would make a nice assortment. Bacon bits can be switched out for diced ham, chorizo, or some cooked ground beef.
How to Make Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Cook baked potatoes in the air fryer (per recipe below).
- When they are cool enough to handle, cut them in half and scoop out the insides.
- Add them to a bowl with cheese, bacon bits, and butter.
- Spoon mixture back into potato skins and cook in the air fryer for 5 minutes.
- Top with extra shredded cheese and cook until the cheese is melted and the skins are crispy.
Toppings for Potato Skins
Top air fryer potato skins with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, green chiles, diced black olives, sliced jalapenos, or green onions. Try drizzling them with microwave buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, or some blue cheese crumbles.
Serve ‘Em With
Put the air fryer to work and try these other easy game-day appetizers: broccoli tots, tater tot skewers, loaded tater tot skewers, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.
Keep leftover potato skins in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Air fryer baked potato skins can be made in advance and frozen for up to 2 months! Cook from frozen in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Potato Skins
- 4 medium baked potatoes cooled
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 green onion sliced
- sour cream for serving
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Cut baked potatoes in half lengthwise. Use a small spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving a ¼" shell. Set potato flesh aside for another use.
- Brush both sides of the potato skins with oil and season with salt.
- Place potato skins cut side down on the air fryer tray. Air fry for 7-9 minutes or until crisp, flipping halfway.
- Sprinkle potato skins with cheese and bacon bits. Return to air fryer and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with green onion and serve with sour cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Air Fryer Potato Skins Recipe