Easy, hearty, and delicious did you know that Meatball Subs can be made in the air fryer in about 30 minutes?!
Juicy air fryer meatballs are tossed in a zesty tomato sauce, tucked into rolls, and cooked until the cheese is bubbly.
Air Fryer Meatball Subs
PIN IT to your APPETIZERS board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
An Easy Air Fryer Dinner
We love this recipe because:
- It has all of the flavor of homemade meatballs but can be made with frozen too.
- Air Fryer Meatballs are quick and come out tender.
- This can be made as subs or even sliders to feed a crowd.
- This shortcut version of meatball subs is fast and delicious.
What’s in a Meatball Sub?
MEATBALLS: Fresh ground beef and the perfect blend of this favorite breadcrumb recipe and some parmesan cheese give these meatballs a dense and juicy texture and a mild flavor that makes them great for sauces and dips! Super short on time? Frozen meatballs work great, too!
TOPPINGS: Top this sub with an easy marinara sauce or try this air fryer meat sauce for an extra hearty option! Be sure to make a double batch to use in future recipes and don’t forget to add cheese! For this recipe, top with mozzarella cheese, substitute it with cheddar cheese, Havarti, or add a little spice with pepper jack cheese.
BUNS: Prepare this sub on hot dog buns for a quick and easy sandwich. Easily make this sub sandwich with any buns you have on hand. Make a batch of these fluffy dinner rolls to turn this recipe into meatball sliders. No matter what base you use, these sandwiches are perfect.
For best results, experiment with different blends of meat for lighter or lower calories meatballs. Pork, turkey, and chicken are low carb and keto! Top meatball subs with sliced olives, jalapenos, green chiles, or bacon bits.
Have leftover meatballs? Check out these delicious dips like beer cheese dip or some spicy dill dip. Or serve in a sauce like these for a super fun party appetizer: teriyaki sauce, or a chimichurri sauce.
How to Make Air Fryer Meatball Subs
Ready in 30 minutes, these air fryer subs are quick and easy to prepare.
- Mix meatball ingredients and form into meatballs.
- Cook meatballs in the air fryer (as per recipe below).
- Toss cooked meatballs in marinara and assemble subs.
- Sprinkle on shredded cheese and cook until melted.
RECIPE TIP: For the best results, form meatballs into evenly sized portions to allow them to evenly cook.
Keep meatball sub fillings in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop before scooping into hot dog buns. Add more cheese to the top and place subs in the air fryer to melt the cheese again.
Favorite Sandwich Recipes
- Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
- Low Carb Cuban Sandwiches
- Air Fryer Loose Meat Sandwiches
- Air Fryer Stromboli Rolls
Air Fryer Meatball Subs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups marinara sauce or pasta sauce
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F.
- Mix all of the meatball ingredients together in a bowl until fully incorporated.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 16 meatballs.
- Place them in the air fryer basket and cook for 12-14 minutes or until they reach 165°F internally.
- Once meatballs are cooked, toss them with the marinara sauce and place four meatballs into each bun.
- Place buns in the air fryer basket and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!