Add this recipe to your list of favorite Air Fryer Chicken Breast recipes!
Chicken breasts are amazing in the air fryer, they turn out, moist, juicy, and tender every time. This is a delicious stand-alone entrée or as a prepped protein that can be added to soups, salads, and sandwiches. Why not make it for dinner tonight?
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts are such an easy cut of meat to cook.
- Without skin, fat, or bones they are quick to cook.
- Prep for this recipe is really fast and needs just a few ingredients.
- The chicken breasts come out tender and juicy every time.
Cooking in the air fryer is a great way to make a moist and tender chicken quickly so that the meat can be eaten for dinner or used for meal prep. It can be lightly seasoned and sliced or shredded then tossed into salads like this Chicken Salad, or added to an Air Fryer Chicken Pot Pie. You can even use it to make the Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas.
CHICKEN: Buy boneless, skinless chicken for this recipe. If there is any fat, trim it off.
If a more tender result is desired, then pound the meat a few times with a meat tenderizing mallet. This breaks down some of the tougher parts of the breast and helps the spices and oil soak into the meat.
THE SPICES: Simple chicken seasoning is the spice of the day for these breasts.
Don’t have chicken seasoning or want something a little spicier? Make your own homemade seasoning mixture (per the notes in the recipe below). For a milder flavor, add oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. To spice it up add some paprika, pepper, cayenne, and chili powder.
Season the chicken with any of the following:
- store bought chicken seasoning blend
- lemon pepper
- taco seasoning (great for taco salad)
How to Cook Chicken Breasts?
There is not much work to this recipe. The air fryer makes such great chicken, we skip the extra steps (like brines) and simply season and cook.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl.
- Toss with the chicken and place in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook in the air fryer (per the recipe below).
Wasn’t that easy?
Got Frozen Chicken Breasts? You can cook frozen boneless chicken breasts in the air fryer (as you would in an oven). Spray them with cooking spray (instead of oiling) and cook them for about 20-25 minutes. Cooking time can vary based on size.
No Air Fryer? No Problem. Bake these chicken breasts in the oven at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until they reach 165°F with a meat thermometer.
Tips for Juicy Chicken
- Chicken breasts can range in size from 5 oz to 10 oz. The cooking times below are for 5-6 oz chicken breasts. If yours are larger or smaller, cooking time will need to be adjusted.
- Don’t crowd the breasts in the air fryer, allow space for the hot air to circulate.
- Air fry chicken breasts for a total of 16-19 minutes, check for an internal temperature of 165°F, and do not overcook.
- After they have cooked, let them rest before slicing to prevent the juices from leaking out.
This is one of those leftovers that can be so versatile. Cooked chicken will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days in an airtight container and will keep in the freezer for 2-6 months.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Southwest Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Thighs
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless chicken breasts 6 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil more as needed
- salt & pepper to taste
Homemade Chicken Seasoning*
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
- Toss chicken with oil and seasonings.
- Place chicken breasts in the air fryer ensuring there is space between for the air to circulate.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook an additional 6-9 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F. Do not overcook.
- Rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Chicken breasts can range in size from 5 oz to 10 oz. The cooking times listed are for 6oz chicken breasts. If yours are larger or smaller, cooking time will need to be adjusted.
- Don’t crowd the breasts in the air fryer, allow space for the air to circulate.
- Air fry chicken breasts for a total of 16-19 minutes, check for an internal temperature of 165°F, and do not overcook. Check them early as appliances can vary.
- After they have cooked, let them rest before slicing to keep them juicy.