Air Fryer BBQ chicken is a quick and easy way to get that grilled flavor of BBQ chicken, with no need to heat up the BBQ.
Fresh or frozen boneless and skinless chicken thighs are tossed in bbq sauce and fresh garlic and then air fried until they are juicy, tender, and delicious!
Best BBQ Chicken!
- BBQ chicken in the air fryer is a fast and foolproof way to make delectable appetizers, game-night snacks, or even prep for workday lunches!
- Make family favorite bbq chicken with minimal cook time and maximum flavor! So easy, even the kids can help!
- With the air fryer, you can get grilled bbq chicken goodness any time of year!
- Serve with air fryer frozen vegetables for a quick and easy meal!
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: Choose pieces that are equal in size so they cook at the same rate. Skin on or skin off, boneless or bone-in thighs, breasts, or chicken tenders can be used too, just adjust the cooking time as necessary!
SAUCE: Any sauce will do! We amped up the flavor by adding fresh garlic, or try a bit of cayenne pepper, dry mustard, or some honey! No sauce? Start with a mix of ketchup, chili sauce, and brown sugar, and add your favorite seasonings from there!
How to Make Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
- Toss thighs with the bbq sauce and garlic (as per the recipe below).
- Place in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook until crispy on the outside.
Air Fryer Chicken Tips & Tricks
- Pat chicken thighs dry before saucing so the sauce will adhere better.
- Always check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, the minimum temp should read 165°F for the juiciest results.
- If using bone-in chicken (thighs, drumsticks, wings, or legs), increase the cooking time by a few minutes and check for doneness with a meat thermometer. Add the sauce halfway through cooking so it doesn’t burn.
- Feeding a crowd? Cook up a batch or two and then re-crisp them in the air fryer for a few minutes before serving.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Cajun Air Fryer Chicken Bites – flavorful bites of chicken
Air Fryer Herb Chicken – easy and versatile chicken dish
Air Fryer Chicken Legs – only 3 ingredients
Air Fryer Southwest Chicken – juicy and delicious
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- 1 pound chicken thighs boneless & skinless
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup barbeque sauce or teriyaki sauce
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Toss the thighs with the bbq sauce and garlic.
- Place in the air fryer basket and cook for 14-16 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165°F internally.