These Chicken Legs in the Air Fryer will be your new favorite recipe!
Get that perfectly fried chicken exterior and inner juiciness with less fat and hardly any mess. Make this uber-easy chicken skinless or skin-on and let the air fryer do its magic. Chicken legs are economical and super flavorful, too! Why not air fry a double batch?
Chicken Legs in Air Fryer
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Best Chicken Legs Recipe
- A chicken leg (AKA a chicken ‘quarter’) consists of a thigh and the attached drumstick which makes them perfect for a hearty main dish or shredded in tacos, casseroles, salads, or wraps!
- Lightly seasoned and cooked to crispy perfection, air-fried chicken legs can be made in advance and used all week long!
- Low-cal and keto followers will enjoy the crispy, seasoned skin and juicy dark and white meat sections cooked without additional fat.
Ingredients & Variations
CHICKEN LEGS Choose portions that are fresh and clean-smelling with skins intact.
Raw, fresh chicken is always best but frozen pieces can be used by simply adding a few extra minutes in the air fryer! Separated drumsticks, thighs, and breasts can also be used, simply adjust cook times and power.
SEASONING Many store brands of chicken seasoning are too salty, this DIY chicken seasoning blend lets you customize the ingredient amounts. Or make a southwestern-style chicken for tacos and burritos with a homemade taco seasoning!
How Long to Cook Chicken Legs in Air Fryer?
Have juicy tender chicken legs on the table in under 35 minutes!
- Oil and season chicken legs.
- Cook in a single layer in the air fryer basket (per the recipe below).
- Flip after 20 minutes and continue cooking until a meat thermometer reaches 165°F. The skin should be crispy brown and the meat should be juicy and tender.
PRO TIP: Leftover melted bacon grease is a tasty substitute for olive oil!
Tips for Crispy Chicken Legs
- To help the chicken seasoning stick to the chicken legs, make sure the outside of each leg is patted dry. A quarter teaspoon of corn starch can be added as well to the seasoning to help it adhere to the skin.
- For boneless or bone-in chicken, always check the temperature away from the bone and in the thickest part of the meat. The chicken should temperature at 165°F and will continue to cook a bit once it’s removed from the air fryer.
- For easy clean-up, season the chicken with oil in a sealed bag and then simply discard the bag.
- Store cooked chicken legs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer and serve.
- Serve leftovers in chicken fajitas or enchiladas, or make a delicious chicken salad wrap for an energizing workday lunch.
More Chicken Recipes for the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breasts – with a delicious creamy stuffing
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings – easy and delicious appetizer!
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs – saucy and flavorful
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas – best restaurant-style chicken
- Melt in Your Mouth Chicken – ready in minutes
- Air Fryer Herb Chicken – simple and flavorful
Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- 3-4 chicken legs skin on, bone in
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon chicken seasoning
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
- Coat chicken legs with olive oil and rub in the chicken seasoning.
- Place chicken in the air fryer basket skin side down and cook for 20 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.