Expand your cooking skills by branching out into the sweet and distinct taste of Air Fryer Roasted Okra.
Learn how to cook these delicate little “ladies fingers” in the air fryer and don’t pass over them again at the supermarket. With this Roasted Okra Air Fryer recipe, they will come out crispy and perfect every time.
PIN IT to your SIDE DISH board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
What Is Okra?
Okra is classified as a fruit, however, it is cooked and eaten as a vegetable. The okra that is sold in stores is the seed pod of a plant from the mallow family, otherwise known as Abelmoschus Esculentus. So for simplicity’s sake, let’s just call it okra! Besides okra being crunchy and delicious, when cooked in the air fryer it is also a great superfood and a powerhouse of nutrients. It is high in magnesium, folate, fiber, and antioxidants. It is also rich in vitamin A and C, K, and is a good source of protein.
Simple Ingredients and Variations
OKRA: Look for whole pods that are bright green and small. Avoid pods that have an end that is dry or that has brown spots. Okra is usually sold fresh in the produce section of the grocery store. It can also be found in the freezer section.
VARIATIONS: Season this air-fried okra with all the favorite spices—cayenne pepper, garlic, and even curry all work well with okra.
How To Prepare Okra for the Air Fryer
Older okra might have some fuzz on its skin. This can be rubbed off before being eaten, however, this is not completely necessary. Younger and more fresh okra will not have this fuzz. The seeds are also fine to eat—so no need to deseed. Like a lot of great vegetables (and fruit), okra can be eaten raw. It is a crunchy and delicious snack. And finally, it may be a good idea to trim off the ends, especially if they are a little wilted or brown.
To cook in the air fryer:
- Wash the Okra gently, removing some of the fuzz.
- Trim the ends. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Toss with oil and optional spices (per recipe below).
- Cook in the air fryer.
To cook in the oven: Bake on a baking sheet in the oven at 425°F for 20-25 minutes.
Easy Recipe Tips
- The thing about okra is because it is mucilaginous it sometimes develops a little bit of slime or goo during the cooking process. Don’t be daunted by this, because it still tastes great.
- Cooked okra will keep in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. It will last in the freezer for 3-4 weeks.
- Okra can be reheated in the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat with a little oil, plus seasonings, and roast on a baking sheet for 8-10 minutes.
Tasty Vegetable Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Roasted Garlic Rosemary Potatoes – so flavorful!
- Best Air Fryer Veggie Recipes – so many choices
- Crispy Air Fryer Okra – perfectly breaded!
- Cheesy Air Fryer Cauliflower – savory goodness!
- Air Fryer Roasted Tri Color Carrots – colorful and sweet
Air Fryer Roasted Okra
- 1 pound okra
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Rinse okra and pat dry. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Toss with olive oil and seasonings.
- Place okra in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Roast 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!