Breaded Okra is the best crispy crunchy air fryer snack ever!
Okra is a super healthy vegetable, but the question is, how to eat it? Look no further for the answer, than this tasty recipe for breaded air fryer okra! Fresh or frozen okra is seasoned with a bit of spicy cayenne and garlic, then breaded and air fried to crispy perfection.
Breaded Okra Recipe
PIN IT to your APPETIZERS board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Favorite Veggie Appetizer
- Okra is something unique to offer guests, and it’s loaded with nutrients.
- Air fried okra tastes great with all kinds of dips and sauces. Get creative and offer a few varieties of dips with some other unique veggie appetizers like Easy Air Fryer Radishes and Spicy Air Fryer Dill Pickles for some real conversation starters.
- Okra is super healthy, rich in vitamins C and K, and is also a source of protein, making it a favorite for vegetarians.
Ingredients & Variations
OKRA Use fresh okra for best results, but frozen okra can work in this recipe as well, just cook it for a little longer. Wash and trim the stems off, then cut okra into ½ inch pieces to make it bite-sized and super crunchy!
EGG Egg makes the breadcrumb mixture stick to the okra, and it also adds extra flavor and texture.
SEASONING Breadcrumbs are mixed with salt & pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Cornmeal adds extra crunch. Mix the seasoning up if desired, by adding curry powder or chili powder. Cajun spice or Italian seasoning are also options!
How to Cook Breaded Okra in an Air Fryer
This easy recipe comes together in just a few easy steps:
- Prepare okra (per recipe below).
- Prepare the breadcrumb mixture and beat the egg.
- Dredge okra in egg then press each piece into breadcrumbs.
- Air fry until golden brown and crunchy.
Tips for Success
- To make the breading stick, make sure the okra is completely dry before dredging it in the egg and breadcrumbs. To make sure it is completely dry, try sprinkling it or rolling it in flour before dipping it in egg.
- Okra has a substance called mucilage that gets released when cooked for a long time. That makes it great for thickening soups and stews like gumbo. But for crispy air-fried okra, make sure to cook it as quickly as possible at a high temperature, so it doesn’t get slimy.
- Store air-fried okra in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Make sure it’s in a tightly covered container.
How to Freeze Breaded Okra
Breaded okra can be frozen for up to 6 months in an airtight container. To reheat simply use the air fryer. Preheat to 400°F and heat through just until crisp and hot.
More Appetizer Recipes in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Potato Chips – an easy snack!
- Air Fryer Zucchini Skins – a keto appetizer
- Air Fryer Nachos – so cheesy
- Air Fryer Roasted Okra – more okra ideas
Crispy Air Fryer Okra
- 1 lb fresh or frozen okra
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Rinse okra and pat dry. Cut into ½" pieces.
- Combine cornmeal, bread crumbs, and seasonings in a shallow bowl.
- Toss okra with the beaten egg.
- Remove the okra from the egg allowing excess to drip off. Gently roll in the breadcrumb mixture pressing the crumbs.
- Spray the breading with cooking spray.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Add okra in a single layer and cook 5 minutes. Flip the okra over and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until golden.