This Zucchini Fritters Recipe is the best, so don’t fritter life away by searching for another recipe like it!
These cheesy and crunchy air fryer zucchini fritters are an awesome snack, appetizer, or a delicious side for any meal. They are also great to freeze and easy to reheat. Make dinner in a hurry with this healthy side that is ready in no time!
Simple Crispy Zucchini Fritters
- Use up that bounty of summer squash! This is a great recipe to make, especially when there is an abundance of zucchini.
- The cheese in this recipe comes out of the air fryer with an exterior that has a crispy cheese coating.
- These zucchini fritters are healthy, freeze well and taste great.
Ingredients & Variations
ZUCCHINI: Buy bright and unblemished yellow or green zucchini. Shred the zucchini. If it is one of those large zucchinis from the garden, scoop out the seeds before shredding.
CHEESY BATTER: There isn’t anything complicated in this cheesy batter, just simple ingredients like breadcrumbs, egg, flour, shredded cheddar, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning.
VARIATIONS: To make this into a Greek-style dish, substitute the cheddar cheese for Feta. Spice it up with 1 tbsp of dill, and add some salt and pepper. Or make a quick & spicy Buffalo dip to dunk fritters into.
How to Make Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Just a few quick steps to make these tasty fritters:
- Shred zucchini & squeeze the water out.
- Shred the cheese.
- Mix everything.
- Form into 8 patties (as per the recipe below).
- Spray the fritters with oil.
- Cook in the air fryer and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Squeeze the moisture out of the zucchini until there is nothing left. The shredded zucchini will shrink as the moisture is eliminated. Cheesecloth works great for this. Patting the zucchini with paper towels or a kitchen towel works also. Don’t shortcut this step. If fritters are too soggy or are falling apart this is usually because of too much moisture. Try adding some extra flour to soak up the extra water.
- Don’t crowd the fritters. Cook them in small batches. When they are all cooked, then they can all be reheated at the same time.
- Frozen zucchini fritters are so awesome. So yes, they can be frozen. During peak zucchini season, make lots of these patties and freeze them. Place the cooked zucchini patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Put them in the freezer until they are solid. Then remove them from the freezer, and toss them into a freezer bag. They can be reheated in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
Best Air Fryer Veggie Recipes
- Air Fryer Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus – Decadent
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob – Sweet and crunchy
- Air Fryer Cabbage – Quick and easy
- Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash – Sweet and tender
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- 1 medium zucchini 8 oz
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- cooking spray
- Shred zucchini using a box grater. Toss shredded zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let sit in a strainer 5-10 minutes.
- Using cheesecloth or a tea towel, squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and form into 4 patties, approximately 3" across.
- Preheat air fryer to 370°F.
- Spray each side of the fritters with cooking spray and place in the air fryer.
- Cook 12-14 minutes or until crisp on the outside and tender inside.