This chicken taquitos air fryer recipe is so quick and easy to make!
Cook them in minutes and get crispy, crunchy taquitos filled with seasoned chicken that are the perfect snack, appetizer, side dish, or main dish!
Perfectly Crispy Chicken Taquitos
- Movie nights and parties need a taquito bar! Make air fryer taquitos in batches and keep them warm in the oven. Serve with bowls of shredded lettuce, olives, diced onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, extra cheese, Mexican crema, queso, and a bottle or two of hot sauce.
- Taquitos freeze beautifully! Double up the recipe and freeze them in zippered bags for up to two months. Reheat in the air fryer or oven.
- Homemade taquitos are so much tastier and healthier than the frozen variety because they have fewer artificial ingredients and you decide what to fill them with.
- Taco night can be taquito night! Serve with simpatico toppings like salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or pico de gallo! Add a side of Mexican corn on the cob, and a simple green salad with sliced radishes and fresh lime wedges. Easy peasy weeknight dinner!
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken – Shredded chicken can come from a supermarket rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken from another meal. Turkey, shredded pork (carnitas), and even ground beef make delicioso taquitos! Add a little salsa, buffalo sauce, or melted Monterey Jack cheese.
Tortillas – Choose the size that fits best in your air fryer basket or tray. 6” to 8” are the standard. Flour tortillas can be used but should be brushed with oil or sprayed with cooking spray to get them to crisp up on the outside (also, add a few extra minutes to account for the thickness of flour tortillas).
Filling – Monterey Jack is a great cheese for Mexican food, but cheddar cheese, cotija, or even cream cheese can be used in the mixture. Pre-made taco seasoning makes this recipe easy but make your own with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and a few other spices.
Got picky eaters at home? Taquitos are a great way to sneak in some healthy veggies while stretching the meat budget a little bit. Chopped kale or spinach, shredded zucchini or carrots, or even thinly sliced brussels sprouts will add a bump of healthy nutrition to taquitos and the kids will never know! Or stretch the meat a little further by adding rice or black beans.
How to Make Chicken Taquitos in the Air Fryer
- Mix chicken, cheese, and seasonings together (as per the recipe below).
- Prepare tortillas as directed in the recipe. Place a heaping spoonful of meat filling in the center of each tortilla and roll tightly.
- Cook seam side down in the air fryer for 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Taquito Tips & Tricks
- Always soften tortillas before filling them so they don’t crack as you’re rolling them up.
- Use toothpicks to secure them as they’re air frying, if necessary.
- Preheating the air fryer is so important for taquitos! That initial blast of hot air will make the taquitos firm and crispy.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the air fryer to re-crisp them.
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 10 medium-sized corn tortillas
- toppings shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, sliced avocado, sour cream, sliced jalapenos , cilantro, etc
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Stir together the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, and taco seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds, or just until you can roll them without ripping or tearing the tortillas.
- Spray both sides of a corn tortilla with olive oil spray (or brush it with olive oil). Add a heaping spoonful to the center of the tortilla and roll it into a tight log and place it seam-side down in the air fryer basket.
- Repeat with the remaining taquitos, placing as many as will fit without overcrowding the basket. Spray the tops of the taquitos with olive oil spray again.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the taquitos are crisp and golden brown.
- Garnish with your desired toppings and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!