Make this air fryer chicken and waffles recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Crispy waffles and crunchy air-fried chicken thighs are made in minutes and drizzled with a sweet and spicy syrup.
This American classic is just as pic worthy as it is delicious!
An Easy Chicken and Waffles Recipe
- Let the air fryer do all the work in this super easy recipe with minimal cleanup!
- Make diner-style chicken and waffles using a few pantry staples in just a few steps!
- Wrap your chicken and waffles into hand-held sandwiches wrapped in aluminum foil for guests to grab and go at parties and picnics! Kids love’ em made using chicken nuggets or tenders.
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken – Choose thighs, breasts, wings, or even drumsticks for this recipe, although thighs tend to stay juicier than other cuts. For best results, ensure the pieces are roughly the same size so they cook at the same rate. Buttermilk helps tenderize the chicken.
Waffles – Make sweetened waffles using a little sugar and vanilla extract or make savory waffles by mixing in a little shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions. Even a package of taco or chili seasoning will punch up the flavor of savory waffles!
Running out of time? Try making these frozen waffles in the air fryer!
Syrup – The perfect syrup for chicken and waffles! It’s sweet, savory, and spicy! Add a dash of sriracha or chili sauce for a little more heat!
How to Make Chicken and Waffles in the Air Fryer
- Prepare the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another.
- Coat each piece in the dry mix, dip into the wet mixture, and roll back into the dry mixture.
- Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Keep cooked pieces in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Make waffle batter (as directed in recipe below) and prepare waffles per waffle iron instructions.
- Keep cooked waffles in a warm oven until ready to serve. (Try some of these other awesome waffle iron recipes.)
Spicy Honey-Mustard Syrup:
- Combine ingredients in a bowl or jar and set aside until ready to use.
- Fry the chicken thighs in a single layer with space between the pieces so the hot air circulates around each piece, ensuring a crispy exterior.
- For a crispier, Belgian-style waffle, add one egg white to the waffle batter.
- Warm the syrup before drizzling it over the chicken and waffles.
Keep leftover chicken and waffles separate in covered containers in the refrigerator. Reheat chicken in the air fryer and crisp up waffles in the air fryer as well.
More Breakfast Recipes
Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 pound chicken thighs boneless skinless
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- *See notes for add-in options
Spicy Honey-Mustard Syrup
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- hot sauce to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, garlic powder, and paprika.
- In another large bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg.
- Dip each chicken thigh into the dry mixture, followed by the wet mixture, and then back into the dry mix.
- Place the chicken thighs into the air fryer and cook at 400F for 10-12 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F on an instant read thermometer.
- The chicken can be kept warm in a 250F oven for up to 30 minutes.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Add any of your desired flavors (see notes). Cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions– for my Belgian waffle maker, I use 1 cup of batter and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- The waffles can be kept warm in a 250F oven for up to 30 minutes.
Spicy Honey-Mustard Syrup
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!