This Butternut Squash Soup Crockpot recipe is not only easy to make, but loaded with healthy fiber and antioxidants!
Slow cooker recipes are still center stage in the kitchen. With a few ingredients and a little prep, the Crockpot does all the work! Butternut squash’s nutty flavor is complemented by onions, carrots, and a sweet apple. Slow-cooked with cream, ginger, and a dash of cinnamon, it’s as fragrant as it is delicious!
Butternut Squash Soup Crockpot
PIN IT to your SOUPS board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Best Crockpot Soup
- The Crock Pot makes everything easy! With minimal clean-up and no heating up the oven, the chef can just set it and forget it. Serve with a platter of Vortex Air Fryer Pull Apart Cheese Bread, or some tasty Air Fryer Loaded Tater Tot Skewers. Party perfect!
- Served as a first course or a main course, butternut squash soup comes out rich and creamy, with a velvety texture. Serve with your favorite crispy salad on a meatless Monday or enjoy it chilled with a dollop of sour cream on a warm afternoon.
Ingredients & Variations
SQUASH Butternut squash is an easy veggie to work with, simply peel, cut, and clean! Acorn squash and even pumpkin can be added to this recipe with excellent results!
VEGGIES Onions add a savory flavor to butternut squash soup and the carrot and apple are a must-have to bring out the sweetness of the squash. If apples aren’t available, use a cup of applesauce.
SOUP BASE Chicken broth and heavy cream work to thin out the soup without diluting the flavor. A non-dairy alternative to cream is oat milk, but almond milk and coconut milk will work, too.
ADD-INS Cooking for a crowd or on a budget? Try these add-ins and make a new soup every time! Cooked long-grain brown rice, quinoa, or couscous, sliced summer sausage, ground Italian sausage, or cooked shrimp.
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup in the Crockpot
- Sauté onions and then add them to the Crockpot with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender or in batches using a regular blender.
- Add cream and continue slow cooking (per recipe below).
When ready, serve topped with croutons or a slice of garlic bread on the side!
Tips for the Best Crockpot Soup
- For best results, cut the veggies to the same size so they cook at the same rate.
- Optional add-ins should be added in the last 30 minutes of the cooking process.
- If the soup is a little watery, remove the Crockpot lid and let the excess liquid evaporate until the desired thickness is achieved.
- For an appetizing presentation, pour into bowls or mugs. Then garnish with croutons, sliced green onions, or a small dollop of sour cream before serving.
More Comforting Soups
- Cheesy Potato Soup (Blender) – warm and creamy
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup (Blender) – comforting and easy
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup – great for leftover steak!
- Instant Pot Italian Vegetable Meatball Soup -a meatball infusion
Crock Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 4-6 cups butternut squash peeled & chopped (1 ½ pounds)
- 1 apple large dice
- 1 carrot large dice
- 1 onion large dice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a medium sauce pan sauté butter and onions together until tender.
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot except for the heavy cream. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until vegetables are soft.
- Puree soup with a hand blender and stir in heavy cream. Return to the crockpot and cook for an additional 30 minutes.