This recipe for air fryer scalloped potatoes will end up at the front of the recipe box!
Layer scalloped potatoes in a creamy homemade sauce with onions for a savory dish that’s full of homemade goodness.
Amazing Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes
- This classic comfort food recipe is made with simple ingredients that most kitchens will already have on hand!
- Scalloped potatoes cook quickly in the air fryer and there is no need to heat up the oven.
- It’s easy to make this recipe into an entree, just add ham, bacon, or even thin slices of steak.
Ingredients and Variations
Potatoes – Use Yukon Gold potatoes or other yellow potatoes for the best flavor. No need to peel them. Russet potatoes or Idaho potatoes will work but tend to break apart more.
Sauce – Make a homemade creamy white sauce using flour, chicken broth, milk or heavy cream, butter, and salt and black pepper. So much tastier than a box of Betty Crocker!
Flavorings – Onions and garlic give the sauce its savory flavor. Garlic powder will work, just add a teaspoon or so to the heated sauce and mix well. Feel free to sprinkle in some Italian seasoning, too.
To make a cheesy version stir in sharp cheddar cheese and a little gruyere into the cream mixture to turn it into a cheese sauce. White cheddar or colby jack are other delicious cheeses to use. Or check out this air fryer potatoes au gratin for more cheesy potatoes.
How to Make Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes
- Slice potatoes, toss in oil, and cook in the air fryer (per recipe below).
- Make the sauce on the stovetop.
- Layer potatoes in baking dish with sauce and cover with foil.
- Place casserole in the air fryer and bake.
Tips & Tricks for Perfect Potatoes
- Use a mandoline slicer to get the potatoes evenly sliced.
- Slice potatoes thinly, and soak them in cold water for 20 minutes before cooking. This step isn’t necessary, but it gives potatoes a nice fluffy texture.
- Always preheat the air fryer so that the casserole will cook evenly.
- Try topping the potato dish with parmesan cheese, shredded cheddar, or a seasoned breadcrumb mixture. Broil in the oven for 3 minutes to brown the topping.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer and enjoy!
Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ large onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cups milk or cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes about 6 medium potatoes, sliced about ⅛" thick
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Grease an 8-inch pan or one that will fit in your air fryer.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil in a large bowl and place in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 8-10 minutes until softened. This may need to be done in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. Set aside.
- Melt butter, onion, and garlic over medium heat. Cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth and milk a little bit at a time until smooth. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens. Let boil 1 minute. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Place ⅓ of the potatoes in an even layer in the bottom of the pan. Pour ⅓ of the cream sauce over top.
- Repeat layers ending with cream sauce. Cover with tin foil and place in the air fryer basket. Reduce the temperature to 375°F and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!