We think these are the Best Microwave Baked Potatoes recipe ever for a quick side dish!
Restaurant baked potatoes were always great because they just magically appeared. But making them at home involved a lot of oven time and aluminum foil! Now it’s so simple to make a quick and easy, baked potato that comes out light, fluffy, and ready for all the toppings!
Easy Baked Potato
- The microwave cooks baked potatoes in minutes with only a fork for prep. It doesn’t get any easier!
- If you’re hungry and short on time you can make microwave-baked potatoes (even kids can do it)!
- Potatoes can be cooked in the microwave and then crisped in the oven or air fryer for a few minutes if you’d like crispy skin.
- Set out bowls of shredded cheese, chili, and sour cream, and have a DIY baked potato party! Or turn them into potato skins!
- Potatoes are affordable, healthy comfort food that anyone can make and everyone loves to load their favorite toppings on!
3 Ingredient Recipe!
POTATOES – Choose russets for microwave-baked potatoes because they have a high starch content, thick skins, and bake up super fluffy!
SEASONING – Nothing beats butter to melt into the potatoes once they are cooked. And don’t forget the salt and pepper!
TOPPINGS – Make melty cheesy potatoes with a can of nacho soup and top with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, bacon bits, black olives, jalapenos, or green chilis! Or go for chili or shredded cheese.
How Do You Bake a Potato in The Microwave?
It couldn’t be easier than this, and so much healthier than a bag of chips!
- Pierce cleaned potatoes with a fork or knife.
- Bake in the microwave (as per recipe below).
Slice lengthwise, top with butter, salt & pepper, and serve while still warm!
Want Microwave Potatoes with Crispy Skin?
Microwaved baked potatoes come out tender and fluffy on the inside in a fraction of the time that oven baked potatoes take. Here are a few tips if you’d like crispy skin.
- Once cooked, gently oil the potato and place it in the oven under the broiler for about 3 minutes per side.
- Place some butter in a skillet and cook the outside of the potatoes over medium heat for about 3 minutes per side.
- Place oiled potatoes in the air fryer at 400°F for about 3-5 minutes.
Recipe Tips for Success
- Place a small bowl of water between the potatoes before cooking them. The steam will make them extra soft!
- Cooking time may vary more or less, depending on the size of the potato and the wattage of the microwave.
- Store leftover microwave baked potatoes in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the microwave.
More Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Potato Chips– potato chips at home!
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes – great and crispy
- Cheesy Potato Soup (Blender) – warm and comforting
- Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes – easy and delicious side
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges – quick and easy!
- Vortex Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes – hard to resist this casserole
Best Microwave Baked Potatoes
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and scrub potatoes drying them completely.
- Use a fork to pierce the potato, about five times each side.
- Place the potatoes in the microwave and cook for five minutes, flip using tongs and cook for another five minutes.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise and top with butter and seasoning.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
This is a quick and easy way to get baked potatoes, but they end up with mushy skin. That’s expected for microwave potatoes, so that’s why I’m giving it five stars despite this. It’s simply the best way to microwave potatoes.
But, if you want to make it even better while they’re cooking on the microwave, preheat your air fryer to 390. When they finish, coat them in vegetable oil or even spray them with canola oil, cover them with coarse salt, and stick them in the air fryer for 10 minutes or so. You’ll get a super crispy skin with a fluffy inside. Well worth the extra 10 minutes.
Thank you for the tips Troy!