Air fryer sweet potato chips are as fun to make as they are to eat!
Sweet potato chips in the air fryer are crispy and colorful, with that sweet, nutty sweet potato flavor!
Perfect for snacking on, serving as an appetizer with dip, or pairing with supper!
Easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Quick and healthy! Make air fryer sweet potato chips as a snack for after-school treats, road trip snacks, and movie nights at home!
- Homemade sweet potato chips can be cooked with or without the peel and seasoned in so many ways!
- Guilt-free sweet potato chips are an excellent recipe for a crowd! Serve a variety of seasoned chips and some fun dips like honey mustard and ranch!
Ingredients and Variations
Sweet Potatoes – Most supermarkets sell only one or two varieties of sweet potatoes, any will work, or use yams that are larger, but very similar in flavor and texture.
Oil – Olive oil has a herby, grassy flavor and lightly coats potato chips. Other light oils to use are avocado, safflower, or coconut oil. Experiment with infused oils, too! Chili oil, basil, rosemary, and garlic oil would all be tasty ways to dress up sweet potato chips!
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- Toss potatoes in oil and seasonings.
- Fry in a single layer until golden brown (per the recipe below).
Tips for Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Whether you have a Ninja, Corsori, or NuWave Air Fryer, experiment with cooking a few sweet potato slices under different power levels and times to get the recipe right.
- Slice sweet potatoes thinly and uniformly for even cooking. You can use a mandolin slicer or a sharp knife for the best results.
- Thinner chips will cook faster than thicker chips, but for thicker chips, the sweet potatoes can be par-cooked for a few minutes in an Instant Pot, to reduce time in the air fryer.
- Soak the slices in cold water for about 20 minutes to remove excess starch.
- After cooking, place the sweet potato chips on clean paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Keep cooked sweet potato chips warm in the oven if working in batches. Then toss them all in the air fryer to crisp them up before serving.
Storing Sweet Potato Chips
Keep sweet potato chips in an airtight bag on the counter for up to 3 days. Re-crisp them in the air fryer before serving. Avoid freezing leftover sweet potato fries because once frozen, they will lose their shape when they thaw out. Instead, make a fresh batch!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 medium sweet potato washed and peeled (if desired)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Slice the sweet potatoes into thin, even rounds using a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer.
- Soak the sweet potato slices in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain, and pat dry.
- Preheat your air fryer to 320°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato slices with olive oil and salt, ensuring they are evenly coated.
- Place the seasoned sweet potato slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not overlapping. You may need to work in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry the sweet potato slices for approximately 10-15 minutes, flipping occasionally. Watch them closely for the last 5 minutes to ensure they don't overcook.
- Once the sweet potato chips are crispy and golden brown, remove them from the air fryer and let them cool on a wire rack. Repeat the process with the remaining sweet potato slices.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© EverythingAirFryer.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!