Vortex Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
They are incredibly delicious, super crispy, totally full with apple and cinnamon and so so easy to make.
I went ahead and made the pie crust from scratch (so I included the recipe) however you can also use store-bought pie crust to keep this recipe even easier and faster.
I found that you totally need to brush the pies with oil before placing them in the air fryer if you really want them to be evenly golden brown and crispy. I first tried just drizzling them with oil but they only got golden brown where the oil had touched them.
Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies
For the crust:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup shortening
- ⅔ cups butter
- 8 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
- 1 cup apple diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoon oil
- In a bowl combine flour with shortening. Pinch until incorporated.
- Add butter and continue pinching until mixture resembles coarse sand. Slowly incorporate water.
- Gently shape the pastry into a mass. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge. Flour your working surface and with the help of a rolling pin, roll the dough. With the help of a cookie cutter or a bowl cut out small circles.
- Preheat the air fryer on BAKE to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Assembly the hand pies: Scoop around 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of the small circle. Was the edge with water and close. Repeat the process with the rest.
- Cut out small vents and brush with oil. Place in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes.