Homemade air fryer apples are comfort food at their best!
Each apple is cut in half, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar then stuffed with crispy, crunchy oats and nuts, then air fried to crispy perfection! This is an easy and decadent dessert, perfect for when fall is around the corner and apple season is at hand!
Sweet & Soft Air Fryer Baked Apples
- Take advantage of apple-picking season and make air-fried baked apples to share at parties and potlucks!
- Air fryer baked apples are a quick, and easy dessert recipe that can be made in minutes with ingredients that are likely already on hand!
- Baked apples are a healthy dessert that grown-ups and kids alike love! They would also love air fryer pineapple, or easy southern air fryer peach cobbler.
- Serve these apples with some caramel sauce or vanilla ice cream for an extra sweet treat.
Ingredients & Variations
APPLES: Any apples will do! Mix up the red and green varieties for a stunning presentation! Note that red apples will cook softer than green apples. No need to peel! Use frozen apples the same way, simply add a few minutes to the cooking time!
TOPPING: Oats, sugar, nuts, cinnamon, and butter make the perfect crumble filling. Packaged granola can be replaced for the topping in a pinch! Play with the amount of sugar depending on the variety of apples used; Red Delicious are softer and sweeter and Granny Smith are firmer and more tart. Walnuts or almonds are great subs for pecans, too! Feel free to add chopped dried cherries or cranberries for a more festive presentation!
How to Make Air Fryer Apples
The air fryer makes a batch of warm and sweet apples that are the perfect dessert!
- Cut apples vertically from top to bottom and scoop out some of the center.
- Brush melted butter over the cut sides (as per the recipe below).
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the apples and then cook them in the air fryer.
NOTE: While the apples are baking, combine the topping ingredients. Scoop the topping into the apples and bake another 5-6 minutes or until the topping is browned and crispy.
Tips & Tricks
Use a small melon ball scoop to get perfectly portioned toppings on each apple before they are air fried. If prepping and cooking later, toss cut apples in some lemon juice so they don’t turn brown (oxidation), then add the topping. Cover and chill until ready to bake in the air fryer. Sliced apples can be used in this recipe, simply place them on a coffee filter before air frying!
Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For best results, reheat leftover air fryer baked apples in the air fryer or place them on a baking sheet and put them under the broiler.
Other Apple Dishes
- Vortex Air Fryer Apple Cinnamon Chips – A healthy snack
- Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies – So golden and sweet
- Vortex Air Fryer Apple Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breast – Apples with dinner
Air Fryer Baked Apples
- 2 medium apples
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Cut the apples in half from top to bottom and use a spoon to scoop out the core/seeds and make a shell.
- Brush the melted butter over the cut apples. Combine the white sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples.
- Place them in the air fryer basket and cook for 10-12 minutes* (see note).
- While the apples are cooking combine the topping ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Open the air fryer and add the topping to the apples, bake an additional 5-6 minutes or until the topping browned and the apples are tender.
- Serve with ice cream.