If you’re wondering how to clean air fryers, you’ve come to the right place!
Since very little oil is used in an air fryer, clean up after each cook cycle is usually a breeze. Just another reason to love air fryers, right? In time, however, all air fryers will need more extensive cleaning. But don’t worry. We have the best easy method for cleaning air fryers right here!
How to Clean an Air Fryer
PIN IT to your AIR FRYER board for later!
Follow Everything Air Fryer and more on Pinterest for More Great Ideas!
Are Air Fryers Easy to Clean?
Over time, the inside of your air fryer may start accumulating some sticky food residues. This will happen more quickly if you regularly make air fryer chicken wings, for instance.
But it’s easy enough to clean baked-on grease from air fryers (or from the oven) with a baking soda paste and a little “elbow grease.” No need to use harsh chemicals. It will look just as good as new.
- Make a solution of two teaspoons of baking soda and two cups of water, and place in a spray bottle.
- With the air fryer unplugged, remove the pan and basket. Turn the air fryer upside down and spray solution on and around the heating element. Spray on a little white vinegar, if desired, as well. Close and turn right side up. Allow the solution to sit in the air fryer for 30 minutes.
- Wipe out the chamber with paper towels and if necessary, spray again, then soak for another 30 minutes. After the second soak, turn the air fryer right side up, and wipe out the chamber again.
- Place about two cups of water in the pan, place it back in the air fryer, and close. Set the heat for 200°F and the timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, turn off, unplug, and let the air dryer cool before removing the pan. Then remove the pan and discard the dirty water.
- Now make a paste with baking soda and water. Use a plastic kitchen scrubber or toothbrush to gently scrub on and around the heating element. Use paper towels or disposable cloths to wipe off softened residue around the edges and in the cooking chamber. Clean up with soap and water, and rinse with a moistened cloth.
- Finally, wipe the outside of your air fryer with a soapy cloth, and rinse with a damp cloth or sponge.
Now that you’re an expert on how to clean baked-on grease from an air fryer, you can get back to cooking your favorite air fryer recipes!
How To Clean Air Fryer Basket
Cleaning the air fryer basket is super easy.
- If the air fryer basket has baked-on cheese or grease, remove it along with the tray and pan, and soak in hot soapy water for at least 30 minutes.
- Scrub with a non-abrasive brush or scrub pad.
- You can also pop the basket, pan, or other removable parts into the dishwasher.
Tips & Tricks
- For easy clean-up right after cooking, allow the element to cool completely. Remove the air fryer basket, tray, and pan, and soak in hot soapy water, then scrub.
- Wipe the inside and outside of the air fryer with a sponge and a little dish soap (after unplugging, of course).
- You can also just pop the air fryer basket in the dishwasher if it doesn’t have any baked-on grease.
- Use a solution of 1:1 baking soda and vinegar to soak baked on grease from air fryer for 30 minutes.
For more information on how an Air Fryer works check out our Air Fryer guide.
Air Fryer Faves
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers – the best appetizer
- Homemade Air Fryer Fries – so crispy
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs – moist & flavorful
- Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers – a low carb meal
- Air Fryer Southwest Chicken – so tender & juicy
REPIN How to Clean an Air Fryer
Thank you for these directions. However, I have the Vortex Pro Air Fryer Oven, and I was hoping to read cleaning directions and recipes pertaining to my type of machine. Thank you in advance if that is possible as an optional link.
Hi Ciji, we don’t have a guide specifically but the methods described here should work to clean your Vortex Pro Air Fryer Oven as well. You can also check your manual or the online version for the care and cleaning instructions. Hope that helps!
Thank you so much, Holly! I needed these tips since my air fryer gets dirty from use!
Glad we could help Melody!